Friday, April 5, 2013

What is maturity?

I am 15 and I still enjoy playing with my toys. This includes American Girls, Barbie dolls and other dolls. I have been called "immature" many times by different people who love to tell me that at 15 I should not be playing with dolls. They say that I should be hanging out at the mall, or doing something else that shows I've given up my childhood. So, let's start out at the very beginning. I control my life and my decisions. I don't have to meet someone else's expectations of what a 15 year old is supposed to be. Does playing with toys make me "immature?" In my opinion, maturity is not based on my interests, but rather on how I behave and treat others. I think it's more mature to make decisions that reflect an appropriate respect for myself and for others, than to put away my dolls for the sake of being "too old" and getting involved in activities and behaviors that reflect a disrespect for my mind, my body and for others. I can say without a doubt that it is more mature to play with dolls and be the type of person I know I am, than to change for the sake of changing and making bad judgments and showing disrespect for yourself and for others. That is the philosophy behind 13-JAN. I will take my time growing up and when my interests change, I will change with them. I will not be pressured to change because anyone tell me so, or because the images on television reflect 15 year olds in situations that I feel are well beyond their young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment