Sunday, November 18, 2012

Count Your Blessings.

With Thanksgiving in the United States just a few days away, this is a great time to count your blessings. Whether we realize it, or not, we all have so much to be thankful for and its a shame so many of us waste time thinking about the negative. While it may be hard to look on the bright side when times are tough, it can always be worse. This may sound way too simplistic but it's always the truth.  Everything in your life could always be worse. 

You may recall the old saying that there was a man who felt badly that he didn't have any shoes, until he saw a man with no feet.  It's up to each of us to remember that we have no choice but to face the obstacles that life puts in our way and try to overcome them.  There is no other choice except to give up and stop moving forward.  I don't want to make that choice because I love life.  All of our lives are short enough that we don't want to want precious moments on self-pity when we could be taking action that can make things better.

My mom is very sick, and I usually help around the house with chores, and taking care of her. The way I like to look at it is, at least I have a mom to take care of. Would I rather be on You Tube?  Yes, most of the time.  Would I rather be watching television?  Sure!  But, I love my mother and she does so much for me.  I need to help her.  I want to help her.  I do not spend time feeling annoyed or inconvenienced by helping her.

Children who have lost their parents would give anything to have them back, and to take care of them. Truthfully, I feel blessed. Instead of wishing for things you don't have, be thankful for what you do have. Most of us don't take much time to look at the little blessings in our lives. I forget sometimes too. Things like: running water, plenty of food, a home, family, clothes, and electricity. The list can go on forever.

So this Thanksgiving, count your blessings and do something to help someone who is less fortunate.  Donate old clothing to the salvation army.  Ask your parents to volunteer time at a soup kitchen and help to serve Thanksgiving dinner. The smallest actions on your part can mean the world to somebody else.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment