Monday, December 17, 2012

Cyber-Bullying.

Cyber-bullying is a much more common problem than people realize. Cyber-bullying is not just one problem but many different problems. It ranges from a negative post on a Facebook page, a nasty email, to an account being hacked, or being harassed in an ongoing and hostile way. I actually have a personal experience with cyber-bullying. About a year ago, I noticed my friend was really upset every time I saw her. Whenever I invited her over, she would just reply: "I'm busy today." One day, I just went over to her house, and asked to talk to her for a minute. She then told me about how she was being harassed online. Someone was telling her very insulting things, like my friend was fat, ugly, and had no friends. They had found just about every account she had and would message my friend everyday. This particular person(s) did something that is very common. They made up email accounts with names that were completely unknown to my friend. It is very common for a cyber-bully to disguise their identify. The constant harassment was making my friend miserable. I had never seen my friend so upset. I told her to block them, but she said that would make things worse. She was afraid that the cyber-bully would fight back even harder on other accounts and there would be no end to the emotional pain. She also told me she did not want her parents to know about what was happening. I didn't think that was such a good idea, but I chose to let her decide for herself. A week later, when I saw my friend she was still just as upset, if not worse. So, I decided to take action. I had my mom call my friends parents, and tell them about what was happening. Her parents convinced her to block, and report the bully. Virtually all online services take bullying complaints seriously and have resources to have their clients report the incidents. Here are some of 13-JAN's tips for dealing with cyber-bullying. 1. Never, ever be afraid to tell an adult or close friend about what is happening. Suffering in silence because you are embarrassed will never be in your best interest. 2. Remember the three steps -- DELETE, BLOCK, REPORT! Delete the person from your friends or contact list; block them and anyone who you know to be associated with them; and, report them right away to the service. 3. If you are a victim please keep copies of all the communications from the cyber-bully. It is very important to the online service, or even the police, to have this information to help narrow down the cowards who are hiding behind their computer screens. 4. Remember, cyber-bullying is not about you. It's about the self-hate that the bully has inside of themselves. Cyber bullies don't know you and they are acting out their own psychological insecurities and taking them out on others. Do not take anything that a bully tells you personally. Yes, it hurts! Yes, it can be humiliating, and scaring, but at the end of the day, you are a beautiful person both inside and out and in no way do you deserve to be bullied. 5. Here are some statistics about cyber-bulling. •Over 80 percent of teens use a cell phone regularly, making it the most popular form of technology and a common medium for cyber bullying •About half of young people have experienced some form of cyber bullying, and 10 to 20 percent experience it regularly •Mean, hurtful comments and spreading rumors are the most common type of cyber bullying •Girls are at least as likely as boys to be cyber bullies or their victims •Boys are more likely to be threatened by cyber bullies than girls •Cyber bullying affects all races •Cyber bullying victims are more likely to have low self esteem and to consider suicide. Have you been cyber-bullied? Share your story here, and help other people being bullied, so they can know that they are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. good advice. when people are online they use that anonymity to harass other people. its scary but it happens. nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good advice. I haven't been cyber-bullied personally, but if ever something does happen, I will now know what to do.

    ReplyDelete